Offset printing currently is one of the most popular flat printing techniques, where the image is applied from a flat printing form to paper using a special cylinder covered with rubber. Each CMYK color in the print must have a separate exposed print mold. Each special color (such as Pantone) must therefore have its own mold, and one must be made for each new color.
CHARACTERISTICS OF OFFSET PRINTING:
- The price per sheet for offset printing decreases as the print run increases. If the print run is very large, the price automatically decreases.
- At low volumes, offset printing does not pay off. High start-up costs contribute to high prices per sheet because machine preparation is time-consuming and offset plate costs are high.
- Not only the CYMK palette can be used for printing, but also special colors such as gold or silver, as well as additional colors from the Pantone lineup, for example.
- In this technique, the choice of raw materials and weights for printing is very diverse. These can include paper, foil, cardboard and the like.
- High quality is also characteristic – if offset printing has been done well from a correct design, on properly adjusted raw materials it looks very professional. If you care about aesthetics then this printing may be a better option even for low print runs.
- Quite a long time needed for the paint to dry after printing
- No personalization options
Digital printing is based on files sent from a computer directly to a digital printing device. In this technique, the digital record is replaced by the traditional printing form.
CHARACTERISTICS OF DIGITAL PRINTING:
- Even printing a single print is cost-effective, so you can make as many copies of a given job as you need.
- Digital printing is more cost-effective for small runs than offset printing, while maintaining high quality expectations.
- Printing is very fast, waiting time is short, practically “on the spot”
- Printing can be carried out on various textures and weights.
- Ability to use multiple colors and color management
- Personalization of prints possible
- HIGH PRINT QUALITY – very close to offset, not only for color printing, but also for black text only.
- Unprofitable for large expenditures
- Paper printing format (maximum 318 mm x 1200 mm)